After a breakup, it’s important to give yourself a chance to heal and to separate energetically from the person you were involved with. There are a number of ways to do this. (For example, I always get rid of every single object that was brought into my home by that person, whether it’s an article of clothing or a book. It might seem extreme but I understand how energy can linger over objects and I don’t want a person’s energy around me when I’m trying to separate myself). Burning sage, also known as smudging, after a breakup can also help in this endeavor.
If you’re wondering what sage is, it is an herb that is known for having healing and medicinal properties. Sage has been burned for centuries as a way to cleanse and purify one’s surroundings. It is not uncommon for people to burn sage when they move into a new home or when they want to do a major cleansing of their current home. When you smudge, you should hold an intention to let the smoke carry away any negative energy. In the case of a breakup, you can also hold the intention that burning sage will allow the lingering energetic cords that tie you to that other person to dispense with the smoke.
Below are some steps to follow if you want to burn sage. You’ll need dried sage, a metal container or ceramic dish, clean sand and a match.
- Purchase dried sage. It is typically tied in bundles with cotton string. You can find it at health food and metaphysical stores.
- Pour a layer of clean sand into the dish.
- Place a bundle of sage in the container.
- Light the sage and let the smoke billow up as the sage smolders.
- Disperse the smoke by carrying the container to different rooms. You might want to spend more time and intention in rooms where the ex- spent a lot of time.